Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Makati District in Paris

It's been awhile since I last blogged. So, where have I been? I went to the city of love, Paris, France, along with my mom and dad. But before I bubble forth the main highlight of my trip, let me first take you to the business, or should I say, "financial district" of Paris.


Defénse Place



La DéfenseParis is situated in beyond the arrondissements of central Paris at the start of the western outskirts of the city, beyond the last Parisian loop of the river Seine. In a historical viewpoint, La Defense played an important role in defending the country. That is where the city's name was derived. ^^

La Défense is a purpose-built business district; in the 1960's, Charles de Gauelle led an effort to level the area and concentrate skyscrapers in a single business district, rather than altering the character of downtown Paris with large commercial buildings. I read from somewhere that this place is seldom visited, due to it being more of a business area not of tourism.




Apart from the monumental commercial structures, La Défense is also know for its modern architecture and art. If downtown Paris has the Eiffel Tower as its trademark, La Défense also has one of its own. Danish architect Johan-Otto Von Spreckelsen built the modern day Arc de Triomphe. It featured an open cube to look like a window open to the world with and gazing towards the future. He describes it as: "a modern Arc de Triomphe, erected to the glory of the triumph of humanity; a symbol of hope that in the future poeple may meet free."
The "Grande Arche de la Fraternité" of  La Defénse  
The magisterial modern triumphal arch is undeniably a successful project blending perfectly with the surroundings thanks to its contemporary outline of white marble. Alongside the Eiffel Tower, it is probably Paris' most imposing monument.

More skyscrapers:


Coeur Defense

Tour EDF

Views from my hotel room - Hotel Mercure Paris La Defense 5 


Quote for the Day: "If I knew how to take a good photograph, I'd do it every time."
~ Robert Doisneau


2 comments:

  1. Wow! I've just been thinking about planning a trip to Paris with the family. Hope you can share your itinerary and list of expenses too so I could have an idea. My dream city! *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the city of Paris for one, is an eyesight. There are palaces, the Louvre Museum, Tuileries Garden, Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, La Defense, a walk along Champs Elysee. :)

    Budget for the trip, hmmm? I'll get back to you. hehehe .. have to ask the payrents :p

    Shopping is expensive, also food, and museums.. but if you shell out for the tour side of it, every euro is worth of it! :)

    ReplyDelete