Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Krakow, Poland: The Old Town

This is my first time EVER to visit Poland. Same with my parents who were with me. Before venturing, I did a little research on what to expect. And it was more than what I had read.

This little town in Poland, was our first stop. Krakow/Cracow.

overlooking Wawel Castle

Here's some general information about Cracow.

  • used to be the capital of Poland, until the end of the 16th century
  • the 4th largest city in the country
  • The country's Cultural capital
  

Our trip to Cracow started with a daily tour around the city's declared World Heritage Site: The Old Town. Our starting point was meeting across Sheraton Hotel. We also had a tour around the Ghetto Place/Jewish Town. I barely have photos in my camera, but in our other camera, I was able to take some. I'll post a follow up photowalk of that. :)



The Old Town is usually the beginning of the tour of the city, and many key landmarks are to be found. Despite the flourishing commercial atmosphere the town's experiencing, the city's age-old character has not been lost. Rather, it gave a different perspective of life. 

What makes it fascinating? It was once ringed by a great wall, and a fragment of this still survives. The district has preserved its medieval layout, which, unusually, followed a grid pattern. One can never get lost in this part of town. As all the principal streets lead to the Main Market Square or Rynek.

Here's some more of the photos.



Quote for the Day: "No matter how sophisticated the camera, the photographer is still the one that makes the picture."
~ Doug Bartlow

No comments:

Post a Comment